top of page

Car Accident In Mexico | Loreto

Car Accident in Mexico | Loreto
Car Accident in Mexico | Loreto

*All claims must be reported before you leave Mexico. Any claim not reported may be subject to denial. Keep your passport, driver’s license, visas and proof of insurance with you while you drive.

What to do if You Were Involved in a Car Accident in Mexico


  • If possible, do not move the vehicles until you are given permission by the authorities

  • Dial the Baja California (Norte) Emergency Response Hotline at 911

  • Make sure an accident investigator (perito) is sent to do an accident report. An accident report is important to have to file a claim and prevent delays in paying your claim.

  • Call your insurance company as soon as possible after the accident occurs and before you leave Mexico.

    • This could be your rental car insurance/Mexican car insurance and/or ​your credit card company insurance. Write down this phone number before you travel.

  • Other parties who were involved in the accident may try to offer payment to you for damages. Do NOT accept any payment without consulting the insurance company.

  • The officers will then do an investigation. Once the investigation is complete, it will be determined who is at fault. This may be carried out at the scene or at the police station. Hopefully at this time an agreement will be worked out to compensate the non-guilty party.

  • You have the right to ask for an attorney while at the police station. If you feel you may need an attorney, discuss this with your insurance representative.

  • Mexican insurers will usually dispatch a claims adjuster to the scene immediately. The adjuster likely will handle the claim documentation at the scene. If you need a tow, the insurance company can usually arrange it.

***In Mexico, the authorities sometimes arrest the parties involved in accidents until they can determine fault and compensation agreements. If this happens to you, do not panic. Ask to contact the American embassy in Tijuana 01-800-681-9374. The State Department can help you access legal services and a bilingual lawyer as needed. Your Mexican insurance might cover your legal assistance, bail bond or other costs.

bottom of page